Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Paranoid Much?

I'm sure that people won't be happy with what I'm about to say, but it is what it is...Aryana is a tummy sleeper! When she was about 6-8 weeks old she started waking up about every 30 mins or so crying. Finally one night we flipped her over to her tummy and she slept for hours! She has always had good head control and she was able to lift her head and turn her head so I figured we would give it a shot. We always get the same line at the pediatricians office about how she should be sleeping on her back, and at her 4 month she said that the biggest risk of SIDS is between 4-6 months. That made me a little nervous, but it is kind of too late now to make her sleep on her back, plus she can roll over both ways.
Last night Aryana slept from 7pm to 4:45am without.a.peep then went back to bed till we woke her up around 6:30! That has been the longest stretch of sleeping she has ever done! I woke up around 4:15am and realized she hadn't woken up yet, we have a video monitor so I just glanced over like I usually do throughout the night and check to see if I see her back moving up and down. Last night, I could not tell! I was looking and looking and just couldn't tell if she was breathing. I went into her room and just touched her face and she didn't move, but she was warm. So I went back to bed, still looking at the monitor. Got up to use the bathroom thinking maybe she will move a little when I come back. But I still couldn't tell. My husband turned over and so I told him what time it was and told him I couldn't tell if Aryana was breathing so he told me to go in there and flick her. So I went in there again and rubbed her head, and she finally moved.
Do all parents do that the first time their baby sleeps pretty much all night? Or am I just very paranoid?

5 comments:

  1. Rylin has co-slept with us since she was born (because she stubborn) and is now sleeping in her crib part time. She has been a side/tummy sleeper since she was a few months old too and I still wake up multiple times a night to check her breathing. Walmart now sells the angel care monitor w/ the movement monitor for $65 and it gives me a huge piece or mind when she's in her crib but I still check and probably will continue to check on her till she moves out! Lol its totally a mom thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Etosia. ANGELCARE MONITOR!!!!! We still use it for Yorlee and she's 10 months old. And even when it's on, I still check on her if she sleeps longer than 10 hours. It's a Mommy thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From experience (by observing my nieces and nephews) I know that babies love to sleep on their tummy. I believe in doing what is best for our families, but sometime too much literature against something forces us to become paranoid, so yes I would be paranoid too but ultimately would do what works most for baby and our life stay. You are doing great :)

    Aryana is super CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies! Good to know I'm "normal!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! I got a little nervous as I continues reading this post. Whew! Thank goodness Aryana is ok. I can relate. Princess used to sleep through the night. But once she turned 8 months that was it! I think teething made her irritable at night. Now I would give anything for her to sleep straight through. If lying on her belly would do the trick, great! So I totally understand.

    ReplyDelete